If you are not familiar with KiwiSaver, let us introduce you! KiwiSaver is one of New Zealand’s main retirement savings schemes. You can join at any age up to 65, from the day you are born! A work-based scheme that is voluntary to join but compulsory for employers to contribute to, KiwiSaver was created to help financially prepare New Zealanders for retirement with the help of professional managers.
When you start working, you can choose to contribute at a rate of 3%, 4% or 8% while the minimum compulsory rate for employers is 3%. It’s an easy way to save and prepare for the future. The government has added numerous incentives to the KiwiSaver programme as well!
The key benefits* you will receive from joining KiwiSaver:
- A contribution from the government of $0.50 for every $1.00 you put in, in the form of a member tax credit of up to $10 per week ($521.43 per year) if you meet the eligibility criteria.
- If you are over 18 and employed, a compulsory employer contribution of at least 3% of your gross salary or wages provided you also make contributions from your pay.
- After being a member of KiwiSaver for 3 years, potential qualification for a first home withdrawal using both your own and your employer’s contributions.
- Qualification for the Housing New Zealand first home buyer’s subsidy of up to $5,000 if you meet the eligibility criteria. Visit Housing New Zealand’s website at www.hnz.co.nz
- Access to your KiwiSaver retirement savings when you reach the eligibility age for New Zealand Superannuation (currently age 65) or the date on which you have been a member of KiwiSaver for 5 years or more (whichever is the later).
*Contact us for more information.
If you want to sign up to a KiwiSaver plan, and you have decided that you don’t wish to have any financial advice relating to it, here’s a link that will allow you to join the AMP KiwiSaver scheme online.